25 Random Facts About The Prokrammer05 Feb 2009
This meme has been floating around Facebook lately, I’m not going to tag anyone here since I did it there, but thought I’d share this list with those of you who might not be on Facebook:
(progn (setq num 1)(princ “\n\n25 Random Things About Me\n\n”)(while (< num 26) (princ (format “%d. \n” num))(setq num (1+ num))))
25 Random Things About Me
- I have been programming since I was 8.
- I’m writing this list in emacs.
- I was on the Varsity Team for the 1997 Ohio State Academic Decathlon Team.
- I’ve only been west of the Mississippi once, for the National Academic Decathlon Championships in St. George, Utah.
- I spent the ages of 5 to 9 in Marietta, GA.
- I’m fantastically good at making my daughter vomit.
- I spent a year at DeVry in Columbus working on a BA in Electronic Engineering, before moving back home. I flunked every class.
- I worked in Technical support for 8 years, all the way up to Middle Management until I had the chance to take an “Employee Requested Demotion” to get started programming.
- I was introduced to my wife in high school, but we really didn’t meet until we ran across each other on AOL. We had lived less then a mile apart for almost a decade.
- I was a BBS junkie growing up during my teens. I even sysop’d my own for a while.
- My buddy (Jim Balcomb) and I use to sneak out of my house in the middle of the night to go dumpster diving. “I’m pretending to be a garbage bag, shut up!”
- I was one of those linux zealots who hated Microsoft and vowed never to work in an MS shop… until I started getting paid to support a small number of Terminal Servers (the rest were running an OS called Real/32). Now I’m a Microsoft MVP.
- I’m currently keeping track of everything I eat and drink, in order to force myself to be healthier in my choices. You can see what I’m eating and drinking here: http://twitpic.com/photos/mletterle_diet
- My wife and I tried to have a baby for four years before we finally had our daughter via IVF.
- Three days after our daughter was born, we had to rush her to the hospital at 4am. I rode in the ambulance that took her from the ER to the Children’s hospital. Three weeks later she came out healthy and we haven’t looked back since.
- I was absolutely terrified of getting my blood taken and hated shots, before we had to go through IVF. I still don’t like them, but I no longer am in mortal terror for a blood draw or shot.
- I smoked cigarettes regularly from about age 14 until 20, including pipes in college. I still enjoy a good cigar now and then.
- I own two guitars, an acoustic and an electric. I play both poorly, but am determined to be good (at least passable) on them someday.
- I once read Dante’s Inferno over summer vacation while a teen. Just because I wanted to.
- I am very dexterous with my feet. I can pick up and throw things with them. My mother always said we had Hobbit feet, owning to the patch of hair on top.
- I took the cookie from the cookie jar. See number 13.
- I am an Eagle Scout. But only because my parents hounded me about it for a good two years.
- I can crack the bones in my right toes on demand.
- I once [REDACTED] in [REDACTED] to [REDACTED] until [REDACTED].
- Yes, I wrote the lisp program above so I wouldn’t have to type all these numbers.